Tourism, Environment, Water and Natural Resources
The sectoral Committee on Finance and Economic Planning is constituted pursuant to the provisions of Standing Order No. 217 of the County Assembly of Bungoma and executes its mandate in accordance with Standing order 217(5) which provides as follows:
- Investigate, inquire and report all matters relating to the mandate, management, activities, administration, operations and estimates of the assigned departments.
- Study the programme and policy objectives of departments and the effectiveness of the implementation;
- Study and review all county legislation referred to it;
- Study, assess and analyze the relative success of the departments as measured by the results obtained as compared with their stated objectives;
- Investigates and inquire into all matters relating to the assigned departments as they may deem necessary, and as may be referred to them by the County Assembly;
- To vet and report on all appointments where the constitution or any law requires the County Assembly to approve, except those under Standing Order 208(Committee on Appointments); and
- Make reports and recommendations to the County Assembly as often as possible, including recommendations of proposed legislation.
Equally, the Committee handles all matters related to Local Tourism, County Parks, Water, Environment, and Natural including implementation of specific national government policies on natural resources and environmental conservation, including soil and water conservation, refuse removal, refuse dumps, solid waste management and enforcement of solid waste management policies, standards, regulations, forestry, control of air pollution, noise pollution, other public nuisance and outdoor advertising.
- Hon. Edwin Opwora Chairperson
- Hon. Martin Chemorion Vice Chairperson
- Hon. Joseph Juma Member
- Hon. Anthony Lusenaka Member
- Hon. Aggrey Mulongo Member
- Hon. James Barasa Member
- Hon. Bernard Kikechi Member
- Hon. Benjamin Otsiulah Member
- Hon. Ndasaba Dorcas Member
- Hon. George Tendet Member
- Hon. Vitalis Wangila Member
- Hon. Juliah Masungo Member
- Hon. Meshack Simiyu Member
- Hon. Saul Busolo Member
- Hon. Orize Kundu Member
In the execution of its functions, the Committee is assisted by the secretariats who are non-partisan officers; i.e serves all members of the Committee and representatives of all parties equally.
The Secretariat performs their duties and responsibilities under the direction of the Committee and its Chair and guided by the relevant Laws. As experts in parliamentary procedures, practices and Rules of the County Assembly (Standing Orders), the Secretariats may be requested to give advice to the Chair and members of the Committee should a question of procedure arise.
The Secretariat provides a wide range of specialized administrative services for the Committee, including but not limited to timely research, analysis and information to all members of the Committee. They are the Committee’s institutional memory and unique resource for Members.
The Secretariat provides briefing notes on the subjects being examined; detailed study plans; lists of proposed witnesses; analyses of an issue with a list of suggested questions; background papers; draft reports; news releases; and/or formal correspondences.
The Secretariat assists Members in preparation of legislative proposals or amendments to Bills. At various stages of the legislative process, Members may propose amendments to bills. Amendments may first be proposed at the Committee Stage, during a Committee’s clause-by-clause review of a Bill. Amendments may also be proposed at the Report Stage, once a Bill returns to the County Assembly.